Frequently Asked Questions
1. What exactly is Brakes for Breasts? Brakes for Breasts is a fundraiser designed for independent repair shops in which 100% of the funds go directly to the Cleveland Clinic Breast Cancer Vaccine Fund.
2. What is the Breast Cancer Vaccine? Cancer Vaccine that has proven 100% effective in preventing Breast Cancer in laboratory animals.
3. What does the money we raise actually get spent on? Research. Dr. Tuohy’s current vaccine specifically targets the triple negative Breast Cancer gene, the most deadly form, with no specific treatment available. Research is currently underway to develop a vaccine suitable for all other types of Breast Cancer, Ovarian Cancer and Prostate Cancer.
4. How does the Brakes for Breasts Fundraiser work? The repair shop receives FREE brake pads or shoes from their vendor, the shop then offers FREE brake pads or shoes to their clients (for the entire month of October) and the client pays for any other necessary parts for that brake job and labor. The shop then donates back 10% to the Cleveland Clinic Breast Cancer Vaccine Fund.
5. Why would my vendor give me FREE brake pads or shoes? First and foremost to be part of a great cause, eliminating Breast Cancer. Secondly, you are committing to purchase from your vendor any other parts required for that brake job, and also any other parts for that same vehicle. In other words, you are committing to an exponential increase in their business that month to offset the FREE brake pads or shoes.
6. Do you have a list of participating vendors that I can call? Unfortunately we do not. The vendors vary greatly from one area to another, so it depends on your specific vendor and whether they decide to get on board or not. You can look at the participating shops in your area on the Brakes for Breasts website, and call a shop close to you to see which vendor they are working with.
7. Do you think we will ever have a national sponsor? It is certainly our hope that as we receive more and more attention eventually we will. Laura and I are always taking advantage of opportunities to put ourselves in front of national vendors.
8. Will my clients object to supporting a “Cleveland” cause as opposed to something in our own neighborhood? Do you remember polio? Most people have a vague notion of it because it was wiped out with a vaccine many years ago. Do you remember where that vaccine was created? Most likely not, because it was irrelevant information. The most important fact is that this is the only vaccine of its kind, which will hopefully eradicate Breast Cancer for every woman in every neighborhood. We very carefully selected a recipient with a proven track record where 100% of the proceeds go to the Vaccine.
9. How do I KNOW for sure where the money is actually going? All donations are processed electronically via a Cleveland Clinic website specifically set-up for Brakes for Breasts. All donations on this site go directly to The Cleveland Clinic Breast Cancer Vaccine Fund.
10. If 100% of the funds go direct to research, how is Brakes for Breasts funded? The shop owners are responsible for their own marketing for this fundraiser, though every year we make available a host of marketing materials at discounted prices for them. The mobile “App”, website, graphic design, trade marking has all been paid for by private donations from shop owners. All man hours are strictly volunteer.
11. What if somebody wants to donate money? They can go to our website: www.BrakesforBreasts.org and click on the “Make a Donation” tab or go directly to our Cleveland Clinic giving page: www.giving.ccf.org/BrakesforBreasts.
12. Will our shop get credit if they donate on line? YES! There is an area on the individual donation page where your customers may note your shop name.
13. Can I create my own donor page to collect funds so our shop can get credit? No. To maintain the integrity of the fundraiser ALL funds go directly to the Clinic. It provides clarity should our process ever be questioned. Your customers have the option to note your shop name if they make an individual donation online.
14. Can I put the official Brakes for Breasts donation link on mywebsite, Facebook, Twitter, etc? Absolutely, we highly encourage it.